See below for what the Foundation is doing to help build "Big Society" in Buckinghamshire
Social Opportunity Fund Round 2 is opened
The Social Opportunity Fund is aimed at helping adults with care and support needs within Buckinghamshire. Funding is provided as a maximum one year, one off grant and can be used for operating and/or capital expenditure to include the set-up, operation and promotion of activities
Grants available: minimum £1,000 up to £5,000
Objectives of the Scheme
- To provide seed funding for new and sustainable projects that will help reduce social isolation amongst people in Buckinghamshire with moderate to substantial support needs, including people with learning disabilities, people with mental health concerns or older people with limited social networks.
- Funded activities should help individuals become or stay active in their community, help individuals make and keep friendships, promote and develop new member-led community groups and raise awareness of universal community services to these individuals
The project to be funded must be either a new service or the development of an existing initiative that meets the two Objectives of the Scheme.
Where possible, the project must show that it consults and engages with service users in all aspects of the service. The project must show how it is innovative, for example either in the nature of activities to be undertaken, the profile of the service users or the location of the activities.
The project must show how it will be, or will become, sustainable beyond the 12 month grant period.
The project should start before 31st August 2012. The project should be delivering
the service and showing positive outcomes as soon as possible. The project must show how it is capable of significant impact. This may be either geographical or in terms of the number of service users or in terms of supporting the most vulnerable adults exposed to social isolation.
The project must show detailed budget allocation and provide clear timescales and activity milestones.
The project must show how it takes full account of the need to ensure that vulnerable adults are safeguarded at all times. Preference will be given to applications where a) there is more than one source of funding and b) there is evidence of collaborative work with and learning from other services provided for vulnerable adults at risk of social isolation. However, these are not essential requirements for successful applicants.
All applications must meet the general criteria for funding for Buckinghamshire Community Foundation, e.g. the activities to be funded must not involve political campaigning or faith proselytisation. Further details are available under Apply for a Grant/Guidance Notes on the BCF website
Who can apply?
Voluntary and community groups
Social enterprises/Community Interest Companies
Examples of the type of activities we will fund:
- Peer support groups accessing cinemas, cafes, outings etc
- Sports and leisure groups
- Dance and drama groups
- Hobbies and interest groups
- Volunteering activities – increasing access to volunteering or community involvement
- Employment focussed activities
Please complete our Expression of Interest form. This is the first stage in our application process. On receipt of the completed EOI we will contact you to discuss your application further and email you a link to an online application form.
Applications will be considered in June. The deadline for receipt of completed application forms (not the EOI) is 31st May 2012. This second tranche of funds has to be fully allocated by 30th June 2012.